16 June, 2019

Duntally Wood Nature Reserve

While we were in Creeslough, we had a chance to visit Duntally and walk the trail.  What a beautiful place this is with lots of green.  As we walked the trail, we came across one guy with his dog and didn't see anyone else.  We walked to the end of the trail and turned around and headed back to where we started.  It was so quiet all we could hear were the birds singing and our footsteps.  A lovely way to spend part of the morning.







Duntally Wood Nature Reserve is a 2.5km loop trail takes you from the car-park along old cart-ways and down into the valley bottom. Potatoes and cereals were once grown in these meadows. Some have been cleared of tree cover to increase diversity within the woodland.
Extending to over 15 hectares it is a fantastic example of an oak, ash, hazel woodland. Other notable tree species include Holly, Elm and Downy Birch. Ground flora is varied throughout the woodland and changes with soil and habitat type, common species include wood anemone, early purple orchid, hard fern, wild garlic, meadowsweet, bugle, and bluebell.
Info courtesy of Natural Parks & Wildlife Services

30 comments:

  1. Kind of fairytale landscape.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks very nice for a walk there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the trees, moss and ferns. Thanks for sharing your walk with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a very beautiful area and I suspect that you might return there to walk it frequently.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Bill.

    Beautiful there.
    Nice walk and nice and quiet.

    Great photos Bill.

    Greeting from Patricia.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely place for a peaceful walk. Great photos too. Thanx Bill.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enveloped in all that green is so good for mind and body!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh this would be such a lovely walk to do Bill, so my kind of thing 💚

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would like to walk around, what a wonderful place.
    Thank you for sharing these beautiful photos of nature.
    Have a nice Sunday
    Maria
    Divagar Sobre Tudo um Pouco

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, what a beautiful trail. The nature scenes are lovely! Enjoy your day, wishing you a happy week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You had this wonderful world to your own!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Replies
    1. I was born in the US and have dual citzenship. I got citizenship through my paternal grandmother around 20 years ago. My wife and I decided to move here in 2014. It has been a great experience for us.

      Delete
    2. Ahhhhh, that's very cool! I missed that somehow. Talk about an adventure. Is it more affordable than retiring here?

      Delete
    3. It's more affordable for us even with the currency being change to euros from dollars. We both have free health care, a free travel card which allows you to travel on buses and trains anywhere in the country. We like that because I sold my truck before I came here. So it was a goood mmove for us.

      Delete
  13. It looks as green as where I've been walking lately. All the rain we've been having has made everything grow rapidly.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lots of lovely green pillowy moss on the trees.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That sounds perfect. I think I would enjoy a walk there.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good grief that is so pretty. I want to be there right now. Thanks for sharing these beautiful pictures with us.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful walking trail area. I like how the moss grows on the trees, making everything look even greener. This location is a little slice of Heaven! Great photos Bill.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love walking trails like this! And to be practically the only ones there would be heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks magical. Thank you for sharing such pretty photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a beautiful spot! It looks like a perfect day in a perfect place. I love this sort of parkland.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely lush greenery, beautifully captured.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I had an extraction a few days ago, and came back to check your posts. I love your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Absolutely fabulous.
    Loved seeing all of your photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete