Sunday, July 9, 2017
Ballinrobe's Market House and Court House
The current, prominently sited Market House, was rebuilt c 1752, and has a Sapper’s mark on the exterior, and also has a Victorian post box, now over painted in green. The original post-box would have been painted red and still retains Queen Victoria’s 1819-1901 crest. The District Courtroom was housed upstairs until recently. The lower storey would have been open to the elements with windows only being inserted at a later date.
According to Mayo County Councils listed building register no 10, this is a “good example of a large two story building with five bays and a small pediment with a Diocletian window and clock. Although the building has been converted into a public house, it has successfully retained much of its character, with such features as the original slated roof complete with lead ridges and louvered topknot.” The Courthouse was upstairs with the market held at the open loggia on the ground floor.
(Courtesy of the Historical Ballinrobe website)