23 September, 2026

signs2

I came across this disk when I was walking one day in Killybegs.  It was located just off the main street.  It commemorates the 400th anniversary of Flight of the Earls in 1607.


linking to Tom's signs2

25 comments:

  1. Boa tarde meu querido amigo Bill. Que foto maravilhosa. 400 anos de história. Uma excelente tarde de quarta-feira, para você e todos os seus familiares na Irlanda e um grande abraço do seu amigo carioca.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Detalle curioso has captado.
    Que tengas una feliz semana.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a good clear photo of it. I just looked that up - good history and interesting, Bill.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Buongiono Bill Iscriviti al mio blog,OLga,Grazie e buona giornata.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to look up what the Flight of the Earls was -- the catastrophic end of the Gaelic clan system in Ireland and the takeover of Ulster by the English.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to see history memorialized in this way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...neat find, I have one of these that I should post, thanks Bill.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent find, and a bit of history which of course wasn't included in my history classes. Thanks Bill for letting me know of your journey from Alaska to Ireland. I wonder now, did you all blog when you lived in Alaska? I vaguely remember reading some interesting stories from a couple who lived there, way back in my early blogging days

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe we started to blog in 2016 so it must have been someone else.

      Delete
  9. What a find. However, I had to look this up. Interesting how many things are not taught in school.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great find and the picture is so nice and clear and easy to read.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a delightful find, Bill. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very interesting.
    Those who take a walk while paying attention to the details always discover something new.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fascinating. Beautiful photo. ❤️
    I will have a new blog post tomorrow.
    Thank you so much for sharing this, Bill.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Every time I've visited the UK, Scotland, and Ireland, I am so distracted by these water infrastructure covers. Unlike what I've seen in Canada, they always have character, never a missed opportunity to make something cultural and meaningful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Commemorating an interesting piece of history.

    ReplyDelete