The first seconds of the new millennium in Co Donegal will be counted in on an old railway station clock, which has been restored and mounted in a specially-designed tower on the main street in Stranorlar.
The last train ever to pull into Stranorlar station arrived at 8.20 p.m. on December 31st, 1959, and the station clock has been held in storage for the past 40 years.
As a millennium project, a local development group teamed up with Donegal County Council to have the clock remounted on the main street.
A Dublin architect, Mr Martin Henchion, came up with the winning design for the new clock tower, a beacon-like stainless steel structure lighting up the surrounding area.
Info courtesy of the Irish Times