21 February, 2016

Maritime and Heritage Centre

 The 14th and last stop of the Heritage Trail


The Maritime & Heritage Centre is located here in the Carpet Factory building where the world famous Donegal Carpets are made. These luxurious carpets are hand knotted in the highest quality material, and go back to 1898 when Alexander Morton introduced them to Killybegs. The carpets grace some of the most prestigious buildings and homes around the world, including Aras an Uachtarain, the White House and Buckingham Palace. A fine example can be seen in Glenveagh Castle, which is open to the public.  Come and see the longest loom in the world, and partake in live demonstrations of hand-knotted carpet making. Enjoy hands-on experience in a fishing trawler wheelhouse. Browse through a display of works by local artists.  There is a craft and coffee shop on the premises.

Courtesy of the Maritime & Heritage Centre Brochure

Photos from inside of the Carpet Factory




longest hand-knotting loom in the world

 Factory workers circa early 1900s



Chart put up against a corner mirror
a donegal carpet

11 comments:

  1. I wouldn't mind paying a visit. The old building appeals to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fascinating place. The building is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had never heard of Donnegal carpets. How interesting! Glad the industry is still going strong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Making a carpet looks so complicated! I cannot imagine them being knotted by hand!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful carpets Bill, I have a bit of a passion for beautiful carpets. I had a feeling the last stop on the heritage trail would be a lovely old pub :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful carpets Bill, I have a bit of a passion for beautiful carpets. I had a feeling the last stop on the heritage trail would be a lovely old pub :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I missed this place when I was in Donegal. That was a mistake... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting posting. You have many wonderful products made in your country.

    I spent my last cash in London before Christmas and bought a soft (70% mohair and 30% wool) blanket... from IRELAND, - AVOCA THE MILL.
    It is fantastic and I LOVE it! It is right here on the side of the sofa:)

    ReplyDelete